The Lot Next Door
UPDATED APRIL 2013
The Lot Next Door Program provides an opportunity to owners of property that share a common boundary with a former Road Home property to purchase that property.
The program was originally established in 2007 by a New Orleans City Council Ordinance and was revised with a new ordinance in February of 2013. The requirements for the Lot Next Door Program are as follows:
- The property for purchase must be a former Road Home property in NORA’s ownership
- The purchaser must own a property that shares a common boundary with the former Road Home property
- The purchaser must not owe any taxes or liens on any property owned in Orleans Parish
NORA has stopped accepting Expressions of Interest for the Lot Next Door program as of August 1, 2013.
For more detailed information, please read the frequently asked questions below.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Who is eligible?
- Owners of residentially-zoned property that share a common boundary with a Lot Next Door (former Road Home) property. Except for mere property corners touching, any length of common boundary shall be sufficient to constitute a “common boundary”.
- Owners must not own property that is encumbered with outstanding ad valorem taxes or municipal lien violations, or be in violation or default of any other NORA program.
- Owners must comply with city building codes and health and safety ordinances on all owned properties within Orleans Parish
- Owners must be current on all property taxes within Orleans Parish
How can I purchase the Lot Next Door property if I am eligible?
- In order to participate in the Lot Next Door Program, it is the responsibility of each eligible property owner to notify NORA of its intent to purchase a Lot Next Door Property and to provide such documentation as NORA’s rules and regulations may require by August 1, 2013 by completing an expression of interest form online. The expression of interest form will be available starting May 1, 2013 until August 1, 2013. For assistance completing the form or for more information about the form, you may contact the Lot Next Door Program Office at 504.658.4422.
- The Expression of Interest Registration period will open May 1, 2013 and will close August 1, 2013. You MUST submit your interest by August 1, 2013 to be considered.
- Please note that a completed expression of interest form DOES NOT guarantee purchase of the Lot Next Door Property.
How are the sales prices determined?
- All Lot Next Door properties are sold for at least Fair Market Value. Fair Market Value is determined by means of an individual appraisal performed by a Louisiana licensed appraiser.
- As a policy, NORA will order an appraisal for all eligible properties.
If a neighbor and I are both eligible and interested, how does the sale proceed?
- If two or more eligible Lot Next Door buyers have notified NORA of their intent to purchase the same Lot Next Door property by August 1, 2013, NORA shall solicit sealed bids from those eligible Lot Next Door Buyers and offer to sell the property to the highest bidder over the Fair Market Value at the amount of the highest bid. In the event the initial high bidder does not complete the sale, NORA may select the next highest bid.
If I’m the only eligible Lot Next Door Buyer what happens next?
- If you are the only eligible Lot Next Door Buyer you will be notified by certified letter with details outlining the process for purchase. You will be required to close within 30 days after all NORA Conditions to Closing set forth in the Agreement to Purchase and Sell have been met.
I have taken care of a property for a number of years. Am I eligible to purchase this property from NORA?
- Privately-owned properties (NOT owned by NORA) are not eligible for the Lot Next Door Program.
Who is responsible for the care and upkeep of NORA owned properties?
- Maintenance and upkeep of the properties are the responsibility of the New Orleans Redevelopment Authority (NORA) until the sale and transfer to the new owner is complete. If you believe NORA owned properties are not being properly maintained, please contact our office at 504.658.4400.
Can I purchase a property that is not adjacent to my property through the LND Program?
- No. The City’s Lot Next Door Ordinance stipulates that you must share a common boundary with the eligible property.
I am interested in a NORA-owned property in my neighborhood but I do not qualify for the Lot Next Door. What are my options?
- There are other avenues for purchase. Please notify NORA of your interest in a property by completing a general expression of interest form in the property search site at www.noraworks.org.
What if I want to renovate the property or expand my backyard?
- If you purchase a Lot Next Door property with an existing structure and choose to renovate you must meet all city codes, ordinances and criteria such as elevation and or historic designation guidelines if applicable.
- You may also use the purchased Lot Next Door Property as an extension of your yard provided you must meet all city codes, ordinances and criteria as established by the City of New Orleans.
KEY DATES TO REMEMBER:
- May 1, 2013 Expression of Interest Forms available online.
- August 1, 2013 Expression of Interest registration period ends
For additional information about the Lot Next Door Program please call the Lot Next Door Program office at 504.658.4422 or visit the NORA website at www.noraworks.org
Expanded Lot Next Door Program Policies and Procedures
Expanded Lot Next Door Policies and Procedures adopted by NORA's Board of Directors on June 10, 2013